Thursday, June 12, 2008

Zion Park


This last week we took a trip to St. George with my parents and Lindsey. Daniel, Sam and I took a bike ride up Zion Canyon. It was hard on the way up, but the way down was fast and easy. We had a great time. Poor Sam was sleep deprived for the whole week and fell asleep in the bike seat on the way down. Daniel has video of that. I'll post it later.

We rode up to "Emerald Pools" and took a short little hike just to the lower pool. Sam liked going up and down the hills. We saw several lizards and once we saw a lizard and a snake in a stalemate. Neither was moving, maybe because there was a group of about 20 hikers gathered around taking pictures of the standoff.

On the way down we found some wild turkeys. I have never seen them before and I was impressed at their size. Sam made turkey noises at them and fell asleep about two seconds later.

It was a beautiful day.



St. George

We had breakfast every morning at the Bear Paw Coffee Company. It was so yummy! I really wanted to try the Fudge Brownie Waffle with Vanilla Bean ice cream, but I restrained myself. Not that the Creme Brule French Toast, the Vanilla Strawberry Waffle, or the Blueberry Pancakes with Home Fries were healthier choices.

St. George has a fun little plaza downtown with a fountain and a little wading stream. Sam loved playing in the water.
He loves Aunt Lindsey. She played with him a lot and took him down a big scary slide at the playground at the hotel. Funnily enough these two have a little rivalry going on. They are best buds and then they fight over the same things. Sam would pretty much share with everyone but Lindsey. He knows she's the competition I guess.

This is a cute swim towel hand-me-down my mom made for Lindsey. I can't decide if he looks more like a boxer or a samurai. The only reason Lindsey is sharing this with Sam is because it is a little too small for her now.
The pool at the hotel was great. They had a kids pool that was only 2 feet all around and Sam had a great time in that. We've been going to swimming lessons and Sam loves to blow bubbles and "swim" with a noodle. He will even go all the way under the water.

Bryce Canyon
On our way home we went through Bryce Canyon. It was awesome. Sam was fearless and we had a death grip on him at all times. It is an amazingly long way down.


Here is our poor exhausted baby desperately in need of a nap. We really wore him out.


I wish I had remembered our camera for all the other fun things we did. We hiked up to see some petroglyphs and had a barbeque with Jeris and Suzanna at her parent's condo's pool. We went to Tuachan and saw the Sound of Music (Really good. It's one of my favorites) and Les Miserables with my grandparents. It was a fun and relaxing vacation. I think I'd like to make it a yearly event.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a fun vacation! Sam looks adoarable as usual. You all are quite the adventurous type--my idea of vacation is not hiking and bike riding...

Challis said...

I love that area of the country. Mostly I am just so jealous that you guys get to wear short sleeved shirts while we had to unpack our winter coats because it SNOWED in JUNE!!
Anyway, I think that we will be here over the 4th. Tony is staying at our house (I think) and so the whole family will probably get together quite a few times while he is here. Hopefully I will see you and your little guy!

Summer said...

how fun to see what Sam's reaction is to things during fun family vacations like this one! its great to see that you guys are doing well and enjoying the west:-)

Summer said...

Jenna-

I don't mind at all that you added our link to your page. I'm really enjoying keeping in touch with people through the blog world also:-) We totally should have visited more when we lived closer together, but oh well what can we do about it now? We'll have to make sure to get together whenever you guys make a vacation out east! Remember, we still have our house up for sell in AF...let me know if you want details.

Jeris and Suzanna Hobbs said...

Man I wish we could have gone with you guys on some of those fun things you did. Curse school/work.

Allison said...

What a fun vacation! I love that Sam "made turkey noises and then fell asleep 2 minutes later." Elaina does that too - play play play really hard till the last minute and then totally crash. I can't believe he's so old! Are you seriously considering a trip to Texas?!? I would absolutely LOVE it!! Please please do!! Your whole family is welcome! We miss you guys!