Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Big Boy Moments

Sam is turning into a big boy. He's growing up so fast. I've decided to document some of the new steps we've taken in the last few weeks.

Toddler Bed
Sam was doing fairly well at the whole sleep thing until we spent a week in Idaho over Thanksgiving. When we got home he started rebelling against the crib. He is pretty spoiled and wants to sleep in our bed. First we tried to let him cry it out, but he had a cough and would cry until he puked. Cleaning up throw-up all night long was less restful than letting him sleep in my bed. The final straw came when he began launching himself out of his crib and onto the floor. I decided that the safest move would be to set up the toddler bed, which he loves...just not at night. We're still doing the night time battle. It's not hard to get him to sleep initially, it's just that when he wakes up for the fourth time in one night and it's 4:00 AM, my resolve is weak.

Naughty Stool
We've been working on not hitting. He gets one warning and then has to sit on the naughty stool for 1 1/2 minutes. This worked brilliantly for a few days. He even went several days without hitting at all. The downside is that now he LOVES the naughty stool. He thinks it's FABULOUS, FUN, HILARIOUS! He pretends to, threatens to, and sometimes actually hits someone and then laughs and runs to the naughty stool for self inflicted time outs. Yet another parenting failure.

Self-serve Breakfast

One very groggy morning after a night shift I was dozing in bed with Playhouse Disney babysitting. (I tell myself that I am able to supervise while half awake and that Sam has learned a lot of very useful things from Mickey, Little Einsteins and the Wiggles.) I began hearing a strange plastic scraping noise. I peered over the edge of the bed and found Sam quietly sitting on the floor with an empty cup and a spoon, very diligently eating nothing. "Oh Sammy, are you hungry?" I asked. "Yeah" he said. Poor pathetic child. Poor pathetic mommy. But at least he is learning to be resourceful.

I guess he is officially a Big Boy now.

8 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Jenna, that's so cute! I love all the stories! I have to tell you, when Elaina first started getting time out it was really exciting for her too because it was something that the "big kids" did - and she would even ask to sit on time out!! Then I outlawed time out for a while only to realize that I had no other ideas on how to discipline her! One of my proudest moments in parenting was the first time she actually cried on time out - I was so happy! So don't worry, the day will come that it will really work :)

Emily said...

So talk about blog stalking... I was making a comment on Cim's blog and saw your name and had to drop in. Your boy is a doll! I have a couple of my own. I hear you on the cry-till-they-puke thing because we went through that too. I wish I had a tip for you, but I'm not truly sure why it stopped. Maybe God had pity on me because I was hugely pregnant at the time and totally emotionally unable to cope.;) Hope you don't mind me stalking you. Check out our blog if you get a minute, I'd love to get in touch.
Emily (Inglet) Smith

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the sleep issues! I feel your pain. We are almost 3 years into this parent-hood thing and still haven't figured it out. We had #1 out of our bed his whole first year - and then he would cry and throw up when we left him....so yup...he spent most of his next year in bed with us. Something I said I'd never do. I'm with you, though...It's easier than cleaning up the puke all night long. Then, we got him a bed with a tent and he spent half a year there. Then...we moved...and had a baby...and let me just say that a few nights with four in a bed just hasn't been much fun. Thankfully #2 is loving his crib now. (so far) Good luck!
It's always refreshing for me to hear my kid isn't the only kid who throws up when upset. We went through a stage where it lasted for about 3 weeks. Every time he had a tantrum he'd upchuck. (6 or 7 times a day) not fun! Apparently some kids just do this. It makes discipline just not fun.

Anyhow - Sam is just adorable! I can't believe how fast he has grown up! It's fun to hear about you and your family. I've been off the computer for a few months. It's always great to catch up. Keep posting - its so much fun to see!

Lindsay said...

I'm so impressed with the big boy bed. Chris and I have been discussing when to make the transition. She doesn't try to climb out of her crib and sometimes she'll play and read stories for an extra 30-60 minutes...I don't think I'm ready for the freedom yet.

Romi said...

That's so sweet! I can relate, sometimes I feel like a poor pathetic mommy!! Most times I make my kids breakfast the night before because they are such morning people and I am not. :P Hopefully they won't be too scarred by all of my pathetic times!! (Many more than I can list here!)

Challis said...

I stumbled onto your blog accidentally and was thrilled to see it! You have an extremely adorable little boy. I remember I used to have a hitting problem too. I grew out of it when I was about 14...

Challis said...

I don't mind at all Jenna. It's great to keep in touch.

Jeris and Suzanna Hobbs said...

Oh, I love that I have found your blog. You make me laugh! all your stories are so great!