Saturday, July 12, 2008


In Honor of Those Who do this EVERY DAY all summer long: We Cub Scout Salute You

So we spent the day at Webelo's camp. My first thought is that whatever they pay the poor teens who work as staff at this camp is far too little. This is very likely the world's worst job.

Furthermore, my mom used to say that 10 was the golden age for boys. I do not believe her.

In addition, I have decided I am not a scouting kind of person. I may not even be an outdoor kind of person.

Here is the dialogue that took place countless times today.
Webelo: Can I do this?
Me: No. We need to be doing such and such right now.
Webelo: But I'm just gonna do it really fast, okay?
Me: No, and besides that is kind of dangerous.
Webelo: I'm just gonna do it for a second though.
Me: NO.
Webelo: Come on, please?
Me: I'm saying no, and it is time for this activity right now, so let's do that instead.
Webelo: Okay.
five seconds later
Me: What are you doing? I told you not to do that.

I had told the boys that at the end of the day Daniel and I would treat them to ice cream bars. Hence this conversation.
Webelo: How much do ice cream bars cost?
Me: I don't know. Don't worry about it. It's our treat.
Webelo: But how much do you think they cost?
Me: I'm really not sure. Probably about $1.50.
Webelo: Oh, well the pocket knives are only $2.50.
Me: Huh, well, we're getting ice cream.
Webelo: I'll just take the money and put it toward the pocket knife.
Me: That's really not an option.
Webelo: Why not?
Me: For two reasons. First I am not going to let you buy a pocket knife without your parent's permission. And second, when someone offers you something it really isn't polite to request the cash value instead.
Webelo: Well that's stupid.

I couldn't believe it! That little stinker was mad at me for the next two activities. He did finally get over it though. I, on the other hand, am still a little mad.

On the positive:
I returned home with a greater appreciation for my little terrible two-year-old.
(And a greater dread for his cub scouting years. I will kill him if he ever asks someone for cash in lieu of a gift.)
We won first place for distance in the catapult competition. Daniel is especially proud of this. The boys "built" the catapult last week and Daniel spent a few hours this morning tweaking it. It throws a tennis ball a good 75 feet.
There is a rumor that we're going to be released so that I can be called as a nursery leader. Yes, even that would be a welcome change as there is a definite lack of goodwill around here.

Law of the Pack
The Cub Scout follows Akela.
The Cub Scout helps the Pack go.
The Pack helps the Cub Scout grow.
The Cub Scout gives goodwill.


9 comments:

Challis said...

Jenna, seriously you should publish this post because it was HILARIOUS!! You captured something about that age group of boys (I know because I had two brothers AND my Dad was webelow master for a long time) that is really hard to quantify. I laughed a little too hard.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Kids at that age can be such stinkers yet provide odd entertainment:) We are currently with the Sunbeams and it depends on the day if I enjoy working with these little guys more versus the young women I had inthe Spanish branch:)

Lindsay said...

Jenna this was a great post! Chris and I thoroughly enjoyed it. That is one calling I'm very hesitant about--and sometimes I don't want any boys so I don't have to worry about scouting...thanks for making us laugh.

the calders said...

This was so funny! I have served as Webelos Den Leader and have two boys this age now. I would kill them if they ever did this, but it does sound so familiar. You will be well prepared for when your son is a cub scout.

Paul said...

Jenna,

Having been a Webelos leader myself (I, too, can spell "Akela"), I could SOOO relate to this story!

But seriously...you wouldn't buy a kid like that a pocket knife? Think about it...one slip, and he removes himself from the gene pool. It's a Darwin Award sort of thing. You might have done future generations of Webelos a lot of good...

:)

Loved the story!

Paul

Camille said...

That is awesome!!! I am relieved to know there is another out there who dreads scouting as much as me! And I have yet to have to experience it. :) Love ya bunches!

cassi said...

Jenna- I (Nick) am in charge of the wolves here in MN. I feel your pain. We had a good laugh at your post. Requesting cash value was classic.

Katie Peterson said...

Jenna, Katie and I took a peek at your blog (hope that is ok). That was hilarious. It is so much funnier since Katie and I have been Webelo Leaders as well.

Sam & Katie Peterson

Allison said...

Let's face it Jenna, who cares what the staff at those camps are making - YOU are the one being paid far to little in your Scout calling. We all are! :)