Saturday, December 20, 2008

Night Owl

I worked a short shift tonight and came home at 11:45 to a dark quiet house. I tip-toed into my room as silently as possible, trying not to wake anyone up, and promptly had a heart attack when from the darkness a voice said, "Hi mommy! Shh, Daddy's sleeping"
I stifled a scream and as calmly as possible asked "Sam, what are you doing?"
"I in Daddy's bed. I tan't tose my eyes."

I want a refund or something. This kid has never slept like normal kids are supposed to. If he naps in the afternoon, he does not sleep at night. I'm not talking about 3-4 hour naps past 4 PM. Today he napped from 1:00 to 2:30. Not unreasonable.
I don't want to take his naps away because he gets really cranky by 6 PM without one and I can't get anything done if I don't get at least an hour without him undoing everything I've accomplished, but seriously people.

More than once I have gone to bed thinking he was well on his way to dreamland and then have woken up to the sounds of his nocturnal activities. He occasionally greets me at the door at 3:00 AM after a night shift. He comes up with all kinds of excuses to not go to sleep. He tells me there is a big bad wolf in his bed, or a mean giant in his room, so maybe he's having some fears, but most of the time I find him up playing with toys or reading books.
I am starting to worry that there may actually be something seriously wrong. It scares me that he is up and into things when I am unconscious.
What do I do?

6 comments:

Challis said...

Hmmmm...have you ever seen Dawn of the Dead? Stupidest movie ever, but the little girl about Sam's age had trouble sleeping too. She was possessed Jenna. Possessed.

Erika Kiel said...

Abrie went through a stage like that. She goes to an all-day preschool and went through a refuse-to-nap stage. So, I put her to bed at 6:30. She woke up at about 6 the next morning, but I can live with that. Plus, it's kind of nice to have the extra time at night.

The nice thing about kids is that every stage is temporary and in a few months everything will change.

Where do you work?

Paul said...

For the record? This was NEVER Challis' problem.

I'm just sayin'...

Debby said...

If you ever figure out a solution....PLEASE key me in. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my almost 4 year old to sleep a reasonable amount of time. I've just learned that some kids are wired different - way different. Cadet has never needed much sleep, but does, and is cranky, yet sleepless, yet wired. David on the other hand - is your textbook sleeper. Some kids just don't sleep as well or as much. We finally broke down and put a DVD player in Cade's room. Now - he wakes up, starts his own movie, and - yup leaves us alone finally....but he still doesn't sleep well. I give up.

Camille said...

Sign him up for a CNA course and he can work with you at the hospital. Heck, if his sleep pattern allows for that kind of productivity, harness the energy and let it work for you. Think how quickly you could pay off the house! ;)

ahummer said...

It sounds like he may have his grandma Mary's trait.