Monday, July 16, 2007

First Day in Lima

I finally got together with Israel and Melissa and got a copy of their pictures so I can fill in the gaps on the days I forgot to bring our camera. These are pictures from our first day in Lima when we went to "The Bridge of Sighs" and the ocean lookout in Barranco, the district where Tia Gloria lives.

Barranco is a very artsy part of Lima. The buildings are older (much of the architecture in Lima is really modern) and it is a center for folk music and art. It has a reputation for being very romantic. While we were in this little plaza a group of street musicians played an old song and everyone started to dance and sing. It was kind of cool.

This old church is famous, there are pictures of it on Google Earth, there are always a lot of Gallinosos (big, vulturey, chicken hawk birds) perched all around it. I cannot remember the name.

Here we all are at the lookout. It is strange that Lima is so close to the ocean. I would forget how close we were, and then all of a sudden there it was.

One of my favorite parts of the trip: eating. This is "lunche". It is an evening snack of some type of bread and something hot to drink. I have to appreciate a culture that schedules about 6 meals a day. Yummy!

No comments: