Thursday, July 05, 2007

We have arrived! We are home from Peru and were met at the door by all the stresses of real life rushing back full force. I was afflicted with a horrible and much delayed case of Montezuma's revenge. It was truly awful. I stared to have a little stomach ache on the plane back to the US, but by the time we got home I was miserable. But the really bad part was that upon opening the door we were met by a wall of stench. Disaster of all vacation disasters: Rotten Fridge.
Daniel being the ever cautious, fabulous husband that he is, was worried about the electrical breaker to the dryer causing a fire while we were gone so he turned it off, but unfortunately he also accidentally tripped the breaker to the fridge as well. Let me tell you, no power, record high temperatures and a fridge and freezer full of perishable foods is a foul combination.
Bless Daniel's soul. He deserves a million billion points for emptying the fridge and freezer and completely cleaning it, maggots and all. I can't even imagine. He cleaned it with bleach water, baking soda and water, took it outside and cleaned it, scrubbed the drip pan, cleaned the condenser and coils and yet the stink goes on. Last night we plugged it in and following the many suggestions found all over the Internet I soaked paper towels in vanilla and put them in the fridge. We have spread baking soda on baking sheets and put them in the fridge and freezer, but nothing is working. My next step is to buy coffee beans and stuff them in nylon stockings. That was a suggestion from a Hurricane Katrina victim. The house reeks. It is nearly 100 degrees outside and Sam is the grumpiest one year old ever. Since we've been home he is so whiny and needy and wants to be held all day. I think he doesn't feel well (he has a bad cough and cold and diarrhea). I am nearly at my wits end. If I had an extra $500 bucks I'd just buy a new fridge. It is vile. Suggestions anyone?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I wondered where you had been. I didn't know you all had gone to Peru. I just feel terrible that you came home to that mess and stench plus not feeling well. One time in our last apartment the hot water heater next door leaked into our apartment (but we didn't know it was their's, so we turned off ours) anyway the maintenance men wouldn't come on Saturday because it was their day off--needless to say it was in September and it ruined the carpet and made our house STINK!! I lit candles and was so embarrassed when people came over...I'm sure yours is worse but I totally understand. Hope you're feeling better. I've heard charcoal helps with the smell.

Jenna and Daniel said...

The coffee seems to be working, or at least masking the smell. I heard about charcoal too and I think I may try it also. It's always something. The funny part is that just as we were coming around the corner I asked Daniel to place bets on what disaster took place while we were gone. I always expect something awful to happen while we are on vacation.